Educational travel: Become the next climatehero
How has a small community in Northern Finland managed to become Europe’s most eco-friendly town? Municipality of Ii has already cut the CO2 emissions over 60 % and gained an annual income of over two million euros for the city – and over hundred new jobs.
Ii’s climate actions and citizen engagement and encouragement towards better sustainable future have raised worldwide media interest and headlines.
Our energy experts will give you an introduction to climate actions and introduce you to the award-winning methods on how to switch to renewable energy, cleaner transport and create awareness and encourage residents.
After that, you will participate Energy Agent -workshop in school where our young agents will train you to be the next climate hero. Schools and day cares follow 50/50 concept, where 50% of the heat, power and water savings (euros) achieved is returned to school to e.g. purchase sport equipment. The concept successfully
increases green awareness and actively involves residents to take energy–saving actions.
Visit Ii, learn and get inspired!
Facts about Municipality of Ii:
- In 2015 Ii was the best emission reducer in Finland.
- Ii’s Innovative Low-Carbon Public Services won in 2017 the European Commission’s RegioStars Awards category in Energy Union: climate change. Ii was especially appreciated for innovativeness and for engaging the citizens.
- In 2017 the Nordic Council of Ministers identified Ii as one of the best Bioeconomy cases in the Nordic Region.
- In 2019, Municipality of Ii won the Innovation in Politics Awards / Ecology for encouraging everyone to take climate actions.
- See more: ii.fi/en
Target groups: Municipalities, governmental agencies, educational professionals, school groups. suitable for adults and professionals in the field of education OR camp schools and school excursions.
- Minimum age, if required: 10
- Participant minimum/maximum: 2–30
- Service languages: English, Finnish.
- Interpretation services: Yes, English, Finnish
- Availability/Seasonality: September to May, weekdays. Other times on request.
- Length of the programme: 4 hours
- Location of the activity/programme: Municipality of Ii (Micropolis ltd, address: Piisilta 1, Ii)
- Distance from city of Oulu, trainstation, airport : 30-60 min
- Certificate/Diploma of participation: Yes, upon request
Price: Starting from 450€ (0% VAT), 558 € (24% VAT)
Contact for more information:
Ms. Johanna Jakku-Hiivala
johanna.jakku-hiivala [at] micropolis.fi
mob. +358 40 024 2290