Historical buildings

Ii church

This eighth church of Ii was built in 1949-50, and was designed by architects Strandberg and Hytönen. The beautiful fresco on the altar wall was painted by finnish artist Eero Nelimarkka. The church of Ii has also its own votive ship, which are relatively common in coastal towns especially in the Scandinavian. The practice of displaying model ships in churches stems from the Middle Ages.
Address: Puistotie 2, Ii. Please contact +358-40-848 0078 to set up a visiting time.

Kuivaniemi church

This neo-gothic church was built in 1871-74, and was designed by german achitect Ernst Bernhard Lohrmann. The fresco on the altar wall was painted by local artist Iivari Halttu in 1941, and the beautiful chandelier next to the fresco is from the old church from 1778.

Address: Kirkonkyläntie 105, Kuivaniemi. Please contact +358-40-1576 660 to set up a visiting time.

Local history museum

The Ii local history museum is located in the historical center of Ii (Iin Wanha Hamina) next to the village church. The original museum building is an old granary from 1862. There is a collection of everyday artefacts for fishing, agriculture, handicrafts and timber rafting in the museum gathered from the municipality.

Address: Puistotie, Ii. The museum is open in 1.6.-31.8. Free entry.